Friday, September 01, 2006

Can't Seem to Get Away from the Hurricanes

In the ten years my wife and I lived on the Gulf Coast of Alabama, we had our fair share of hurricanes blow through the area: Danny, Georges, Erin, Opal, and I'm sure one or two others that I'm forgetting (and that's not including the hurricanes that blew through the state when my wife was growing up in Selma, including Frederick in 1979). Moving back to northern Virginia seemed to offer that great escape from the threat of annual evacuations, power outages, flooding, and just overall aggravation - but it really didn't. In the three years we've been back, one hurricane blew through the metropolitan-D.C. area -- Isabel -- and it looks we're going to get dumped on by the remnants of Ernesto today and tomorrow.

Apparently, bad weather loves us enough that it's following us around the country -- I guess the meteorological equivalent of the Dead-Heads who followed Garcia and crew from state to state. Maybe I should charge admission to the weather gods; may as well get rich off these things.....

4 comments:

rdl said...

Wet weather headed here(MA) too, too bad - last wkend of the summer. Hope you don't mind I posted about yr. post about the Hoyt's - but as they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Stay dry.

NoVA Dad said...

Didn't mind at all -- it's a story definitely worth putting out in as many places as possible.

Hope you stay dry as well!

SUSAN said...

Hope Ernesto plays out before it gets to you. I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast, 50 miles south of Houston, so I know all about hurricans and the damage they can do. Of course, as a young child boarding up and heading for dry country was ad adventure. As an adult, it was not fun!

Susan

NoVA Dad said...

The storm ended up being anti-climactic -- it went to the east of us, and we've ended up with some beautiful weather. Could have been much worse -- and I'm glad it wasn't.....