Monday, August 21, 2006

Prenatal Sibling Rivalry?

I got a phone call from my wife -- sibling rivalry between our little girl and our as-yet unborn has already reared its head. Our daughter had asked Amy to carry her from the daycare center to the car, and her mommy obliged. However, the not-here-yet child didn't like that at all -- and began kicking furiously. Mary Breeman couldn't feel it, but Amy sure did.

I've heard for a long time that babies still in the womb are sensitive to a lot of external stimulation -- music, voices, laughter, and such. Is it possible that they are also sensitive to the presence of an older sibling that they're not quite ready to deal with?

3 comments:

karen said...

In my humble opinion, the baby may have been reacting to the physical "stress" of the physical activity of mom. They react very strongly when we move in a way that they don't like...but they do react to voices, laughter, music.

My oldest son, after about 6 months with his baby brother (4 years apart) asked me when the baby was "going back"!

NoVA Dad said...

Our daughter seems to be looking forward to the new arrival -- she spends more time telling folks about "brother or sister," and she has been putting her stuffed puppy aside more regularly for her doll babies. I think she's going to be a big help to her mother and father with the new baby.

That's a great question your son asked -- my only question would be what your response was!

karen said...

Well, while trying not to laugh, (which is really hard for me) I told him no, God gave him and his brother to us to love and take care of.