Friday, December 08, 2006

What Book Do YOU Have at Hand?

Karen over at The Sword's Still Out ran across a fun little exercise on another blog, and she decided to play along. The rules for this game as posted are:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest!

After seeing, I decided to play along, too. I never really noticed the eclectic collection of books I have near me at any one time until I did this.....

Scott was already in Europe when Ernest embarked from New York. He and Zelda had crossed on the Conte Biancamano in March, landing in Genoa and working their way across the Riviera before going to Paris. As in 1924, the Fitzgeralds hoped that a change in scenery might alter the disturbing rhythm of their stateside lives. At Ellerslie Zelda had become increasingly obsessive about the ballet, forever practicing before a mirror to "The March of the Toy Soldiers." -- Scott Donaldson, Hemingway vs. Fitzgerald.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS fun, isn't it? After my Yancey quote, I tried other books just to see, as you said, the "eclectic" mix of books we have going....
think I'll post a picture of the stack of everything that I'm working on...now that'd be an interesting exercise, too! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt:
Wow, our anniversaries are really close. You'll have to post about yours, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,

I've been sharing the book exercise with a few friends. ;-)
Is it ok if I link to your blog from mine, now that I've finally figured out how to do that. I have you temporarily on my list but want to get your approval before making it a permanent fixture.

Thanks,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have a blog, so I'll just post it here...
"The scheme worked admirably. Early on the morning of May 2, Stonewall's men began their march. Because Hooker had sent most of his cavalry off on a raid far to the south, the Union leader was not kept well informed of his adversary's moves. On the contrary, Stuart's cavalry apprised Lee of Hooker's activities." Old Jube, by Millard K. Bushong (Boyce, VA: Carr Publ., 1955)

So I guess you know what kinds of books I'm around, right?